Home


Michigan Humane Society Performs Lifesaving Surgery for Puppy Who Swallowed a Coat Hanger
 

The puppy, named Indy, is now ready for her new home after weeks of care  

(Detroit, MI) – February 22, 2016 - The Michigan Humane Society (MHS) is hoping to find a loving home for a 6-month-old pit bull mix, now named Indy, who needed specialized surgery after she swallowed a large portion of a coat hanger. The MHS Rescue Department, which rescues animals in life-threatening situations in Detroit, Hamtramck and Highland Park, received a call on Thursday, Jan. 14 from the puppy’s owner who wanted to surrender her to MHS because she was very skinny and would not put on weight. The rescue driver saw that the puppy was severely emaciated and needed immediate medical attention. The puppy was taken to the MHS Detroit Center for Animal Care to be seen by a veterinarian.

“You could actually feel a very long piece of metal or plastic inside of her,” said Dr. Amy Koppenhoefer, MHS veterinarian. “We knew it was a foreign body, and we knew that we had to do surgery in order to save her life.”

An 8-inch piece of a plastic coat hanger was removed from the puppy along with a portion of her stomach that been fused with the hanger. She spent several weeks recovering in a foster home, and is now happy, healthy and waiting for her forever home at the MHS Detroit Center for Animal Care.
 

View Indy’s story here: https://youtu.be/3aZAIeqIlL8



For more information about pet health and safety,
visit
www.michiganhumane.org.